Recipe: Butternut Squash
- 2 each Shallots
- 1 pound Butternut Squash
- 1 pound Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Kosher salt
- To garnish: crumbled Cypress Grove cheese
- Thinly slice 2 shallots. Dice the butternut squash (see the video!). Peel the potato and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a saucepan over low heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are translucent (5 to 10 minutes).
Add the squash, potato, 1 bay leaf, a few pinch of kosher salt, and 3 cups of water. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a steady simmer. Cook about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and let the soup cool slightly. Then puree the soup using an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender, then transfer back to the pot). Let the soup cool a bit more; it will thicken a bit and become creamy. Taste and add kosher salt and pepper to taste (we added about 1 teaspoon kosher salt). Use white pepper to preserve the pure look of the soup (if you don’t mind the black flecks, use black pepper).
- Garnish with crumbled Cypress Grove cheese
Recipe adapted from www.acouplecooks.com